It was only in recent years when TV shows like The Rachel Zoe Project, What Not to Wear and The City have given the masses a glimpse into the world of fashion stylists. I have been in the fashion industry for over 10 years and have been a wardrobe stylist for six of those. While there is definitely more awareness about what stylists do, I still get asked time and time again what my job actually entails. Do I mingle with models and celebrities? Do I jet off to runway shows in Paris and Milan? Do I get paid to shop all day? While my job is definitely glamorous at times, it’s really about helping my clients achieve a sense of confidence in themselves and in how they dress.
In the post, I will give you a sneak peek into my world as a fashion stylist and help shed light on one of the misunderstood jobs in the fashion industry. I am often asked to speak at college fashion courses to educate styling hopefuls on what a day in the life of a stylist really looks like. The most popular question I am asked is what I enjoy most about my job. My answer is always the same, I love helping woman discover a sense of personal style that is all their own. I do this through many different style techniques I have mastered through the years.
Below I share my top five definitions on what a fashion stylist is, what I do and how I can change the way you think about how you dress
1. I help you get organized. When I begin working with a client for the first time, I always begin with what I call my “Closet Update”. This is when I go into your closet to see what we’re working with. I know it may seen daunting at first (what about those ratty t-shirts piled in the corner?!), but it must be done. By doing this, I can see what is working for you and what isn’t. I will have you try on your favorite pair of jeans or your go-to suit to evaluate the fit and if the style is really working for you. We’ll make three piles, donation, tailoring and toss. Next, we’ll make a list of key pieces that I believe we should add into your wardrobe. It’s then when the fun can begin and we can go shopping!
2. I help you dress for your unique lifestyle. My goal has never been to dress celebrities (though it is fun when I get the opportunity!), but to dress the “every-day woman” and teach her how to shop for her unique body type, lifestyle and budget. My clients range from those who are confused about what to wear, to those who simply don’t have the time to shop. After our initial consultation, I either go shopping with my clients or go shopping for them and bring options to their home. I enjoy the opportunity to go shopping with my clients because it allows for a one-on-one learning experience that they can apply when they go shopping alone. I teach them why items and colors work for them and what to wear with what. It’s always very rewarding when we finish a Styling Spree because my clients have a renewed sense of confidence in the way they dress and in themselves.
3. I keep your budget in mind. I strongly believe that style has no size or price tag. It is very important to me that my clients keep within their budgets, while still feeling and looking fabulous. I encourage everyone to shop the sale racks, go to vintage stores, and even hit discount stores like Marshals or TJ Maxx. The reason most people don’t shop in places like these is because they easily get overwhelmed by the sheer mass of clothing and quickly give up. I can help you navigate the endless racks of sale items to help you find some great pieces that you never may have even see if you were to go to the store by yourself.
4. I show you how to put it all together. The number one issue I hear from my clients is that they usually know what looks cute on the hanger, but they have no idea how to wear it. It’s my job as a stylist to “style” you and to show you what items work together and look great on your unique body type. My goal is never to change a client’s style so much that they dress like me or a celebrity, but to transform them into a better version of themselves. This should be the end result of any styling experience, no matter if you’re shopping for work or for play.
5. I help you to embrace a personal sense of style. Every styling experience you have with me will be about you. It’s not about what someone else thinks or wants (your mother, your co-worker, your best friend or even me!), it’s about what makes you feel and look your best. I’m simply there to guide you in the right direction and help you make style choices to highlight your best features and assets. Every item that we purchase together should be something you will love to wear time and time again. Feeling confident in yourself and how you look is what personal style is all about!
Ready to start your style journey? Contact me today for a personalized style consultation!